Pioneer Recipe: Bread Pudding

Happy Pioneer Day!  On this day in 1847 the first group of pioneers (including Brigham Young) entered the Salt Lake Valley (in present day Utah).  It is an official holiday in the state of Utah in the United States of America. In addition to celebrating those first pioneers we celebrate the entire pioneer movement of many early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and others who crossed the plains to settle in Utah and the surrounding states. 

Here is the final recipe in our Pioneer recipe series:

Bread Pudding
2 eggs
½ tsp. salt
½ cup sugar
2 cups stale bread cubes
1 tsp. vanilla or nutmeg
2 cups milk
Beat eggs only until mixed, add sugar, salt and flavoring. Scald milk and pour over bread crumbs. When well soaked combine mixtures and pour into greased baking dish. Bake in slow oven (300°F). Test as for custard. Raisins may be added if desired.

Comments

  1. My mom used to make that. I can remember not being a huge fan of it, but that was so many years ago maybe I'd like it today. If there was a way to use up something, those people were pros. Do you even run into anybody who remembers eating Lump Dick? Well besides me, that is? I'm sure there's a few around. I made it for my grandkids once and they weren't that fond of it. *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment