Emily's Favorite Granola


Our cousin Emily guest posts again today!  She introduces her recipe for granola: "Once I found this recipe, I have not made anything else.  I think this is so unusual because of the dried milk."
Emily's Favorite Granola
 
Full Recipe:
10 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried milk
1 Tb. salt
2 to 3 cups nuts, whole or chopped
5 cups dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 to 1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 Tb. vanilla
2-3 cups currants or any chopped dried fruit (add after baking)

Half Recipe:
5 cups rolled oats (I do 4 c. oats and 1 c. rolled barley) 
½ cup dried milk
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 to 2 cups nuts, whole or chopped
2 ½ cups dried, unsweetened coconut flakes 
½  to ¾  cups vegetable oil 
½ cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup currants (add after baking)

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly.  Put it 1-3 inches thick in large baking pans and bake.  Use a spatula to turn it every five minutes or so. Like cookies, it’s best to take it out before it seems done. When it feels hot to the touch and is a light golden brown, it’s ready. Add currants or any other dried fruit.

Notes: I like flake coconut the best and make sure it is unsweetened. I heat up my honey in a Pyrex {glass measuring cup} then add the oil and vanilla to the Pyrex and wisk. I then quickly pour over the dry ingredients and stir. The honey is easier to mix into the dry ingredients when it hot and not so sticky.

Comments

  1. Hooray! I love trying a new granola mix. This one sounds yummy. I really like the coconut to oats ratio because I tend to double the coconut in most granola recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment