Potato-Cheese Casserole


Potato-Cheese Casserole

Peel and grate
6 medium potatoes, cooked, but still firm (can substitute frozen hash browns – though not as good; if using, rinse well and dry with paper towels)

Heat:
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 can cream of chicken soup

Add:
1 to 2 cups sour cream
1/3 cup chopped green onions or 1 tsp. dried diced onions
1½ cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
Salt to taste

Mix all together and place in 9 x 13 inch pan.

Mix together and sprinkle over the top:
2 Tb. melted butter
1/3 cup crushed corn flakes
Or top with cheese. Bake 40 minutes at 350°.

Tiffany's Note:  This is one of my favorite side dishes--in fact I had it for my birthday dinner for about 10 years in a row!  When I make this dish the recipe is more of a guide to me than something I follow exactly.  It still turns out well.  {I rarely do only 6 potatoes!}

The potatoes work best if you boil them in water and then cool them (but you can certainly use them while they're still warm).  If you have time to cook them a day ahead that works great.  Recently, I boiled the potatoes the day before needing them, put them in a bowl in the fridge, and then got them out when needed.  To simplify you can certainly use frozen hash browns--they are fine and make this a quick dish to prepare.

I usually grate the potatoes into a big bowl, dump all the other ingredients in, and stir it all together.  Sometimes I add melted butter--sometimes I don't--it's fine either way as long as you have enough liquids to cover the potatoes. I used to always use green onions--they are great.  But, if you don't have them you can use dried diced onions.  This time I used dried onions and dried chives to add a bit of color.

The corn flake topping is one of the best parts--I definitely do more than the 1/3 cup listed!

Mom's Note: These are also known as Funeral Potatoes, but made like this recipe, they are wonderful anytime.

Comments

  1. Mom, I don't like the name Funeral Potatoes (and I'm glad you never called them that!). That name would have likely kept me from ever making them! :)

    Yes, this casserole is commonly made for luncheons for families after a funeral. (I hope they serve them to my family after my funeral in 50 years!) It is a great dish to make ahead and serve to a crowd. Everyone who makes a potato casserole adds their own twist to the dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment