Pioneer Recipe: Extra Rooster Chicken and Noodle Stew

In honor of Pioneer Day {July 24} this month here is the latest practical pioneer recipe.  

Extra Rooster Chicken and Noodle Stew
Kill a rooster not young, not the oldest. Scald, pluck feathers, and singe. Wash. Cut up. Put in heavy kettle.
Barely cover with water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Boil one hour for each year old till almost tender. Add 1 cup diced potatoes, 1 cup diced carrots, ½ small diced onion. Cook until almost tender. Add noodles and cook about 10 minutes. Melt ¼ cup butter, 1 Tb. flour and mix together real good. Add this thickening to your stew-as much as you want for as thick as you like. Cook a few minutes and it’s ready.

Tiffany's Notes: Can I just say that I'm thankful that I've never had to kill and clean my own chicken?  You could always try this with a whole chicken from the grocery store!  I guess you'd have to estimate the age of the chicken to know how long to cook it...

For another reference on cooking chicken you can read our "How to Boil Meat" post.

Comments

  1. Tiffany you're missing out! When I lived in Mexico I helped pluck chickens all the time. I still regret I didn't go with my friends when they picked out our thanksgiving turkey. As in, a turkey running around that they picked and brought to me to dress and we ate that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most chickens from the store are tender young birds. It wouldn't pay for the farmers to keep them a day longer than they had to.

    On the other hand, home farmers might end up with a tough old bird or two. This is a recipe for when that happened.

    Sometime when I have a minute I'll tell the story about where these recipes came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to send this to my neighbors. Hopefully they'll decide to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment