Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp. sage or thyme
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1½ lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed

Sauté onion and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients and boil for about 20 minutes until squash is tender. Puree in a blender or mash with a potato masher. You can substitute other squash or pumpkin for the butternut. Stir in ½ cup whipping cream, milk, or plain yogurt if you want to make it more creamy.

Becky's Note: This may be my new favorite soup.  From start to finish this soup only took 25 minutes.  I used a pack of cubed butternut squash (from Costco) which made the whole process even easier!  I attempted to dress up the soup by piping sour cream in swirls on the surface of the soup.  It sure looked pretty but I had more than one child ask "What is this white stuff on top of our soup?"  Apparently I need to work on my table presentation more so it is not completely shocking to my kids!

Comments