Simple Pancakes



Note the bubbles: these pancakes are ready to be turned.
Ready to come off the grill
I remember watching my Mom throw the ingredients into a batch of pancakes without following the recipe.  I thought she was amazing (she is!) because she had the whole recipe memorized!  Now I find myself doing the same thing.  Except this morning I had to up my amounts to a triple batch- we were running out of pancakes with a double batch (ahem, 12 year old son).  So out came the recipe to make sure I really remembered the proportions correctly.  I love the simplicity of this recipe. 

Pancakes, Simple
1¼ cups flour (white or whole wheat)
1 Tb. baking powder
1 Tb. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tb. vegetable oil
Sift dry ingredients. Add liquids. Stir until moist. Leave small lumps. Cook.
Served on a classic IKEA plate!
See Pancakes with Blueberry-Apple Sauce here.

Comments

  1. Because we live in a rather humid climate I like to whisk the dry ingredients together. We have a sifter, which works well, but it takes more time than just whisking for about 40 seconds. Then I whisk again for 30-45 seconds once all the wet ingredients are added. I try not to leave any lumps. This results in very smooth pancakes.

    I will also often add an extra couple tablespoons of milk in order to make the batter a little runnier, which results in a flatter, less dense pancake.

    Also, I try to slightly undercook the pancakes on the first side (I turn them when the air bubbles are just starting to appear {before more than a couple have popped} or when the first cooked side is just cohesive enough to flip, whichever is earlier). This all results in a beautiful light brown pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jared! Recently we were talking about how we adjust the recipes for altitude, but I didn't think about humidity. My pancakes were quite brown this morning- I have 3 children that will only eat pale or white pancakes! They would love to eat at your house since I tend to run around doing stuff in between cooking the pancakes! I also noticed that the left side of my griddle is hotter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've switched to usually using all white wheat flour in these pancakes. They still end up light and fluffy, but are a bit more substantial.

    (Although our wheat grinder is currently at the shop, so lots of our food is looking pale right now!)

    And it's the right side of my griddle that's the hottest, but I guess I could turn it around, and it'd be the left side. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment