Aunt Leone’s Creamed Chicken (Heritage Recipe)

Aunt Leone’s Creamed Chicken (Heritage Recipe)

1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup sour cream
½ cup nippy cheese
Dash of garlic salt
½ cup mayonnaise
6 chicken breast halves

Combine soup, sour cream, cheese, and garlic salt and heat thoroughly. Don’t boil. If too thick, add 1 Tb. milk. Just before serving add mayonnaise. Roast chicken at 350° until done (about 1 hour until fork-tender). Remove bones. Keep chicken warm until serving. Serve ½ chicken breast on cooked rice with spoonful of sauce over all. The sauce is also good on broccoli or rice. Aunt Leone is Lucile Glade’s
sister. This is the recipe used to make the creamed chicken served at Beverly and John Wessman’s wedding.

Becky's Note: My sauce is a little darker than this recipe is normally.  I had some leftover mushrooms I needed to use and so I made my own cream of mushroom soup.  I haven't made this recipe in years but as soon as I tasted it, I remembered the flavor!

Comments

  1. In the interest of historical accuracy, perhaps it should be noted that the original recipe had a spoonful of cooking sherry. (Shades of Professor Trelawney.)

    This is a classic post-World War II recipe. Note the cream of soup, sour cream, cheese, and commercial mayonnaise. It is tasty stuff, but not conducive to long-term heart health if you were to eat like this all the time! (Each serving, if made in these quantities without additional sauce has 32 grams of fat, which is more than the nutritional standard of the amount of fat in a Big Mac (29 grams).

    So bottom line, I think we all realize that these kinds of recipes are an occasional treat and not a regular feature on a menu, but I've heard that other people are reading this blog, so I thought I'd point that out. : )

    (One option for cutting the fat and calories is to use reduced fat sour cream and mayonnaise.)

    And, on a totally different note, here's a cute picture of Leone and Lucile when they were young:

    http://theancestorfiles.blogspot.com/2011/03/lucy-lucile-green-glade-part-12.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment