Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

These cookies are one of my husband's favorites.  His mother would make them at Christmas time for family and friends.  She shared this recipe with me many years ago.  
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp. vanilla
36 large marshmallows cut in half

Measure flour, sift with baking soda, salt, and cocoa--set aside.  In the large bowl of your mixer cream shortening.  Add sugar and gradually blend thoroughly.  Add egg and beat well.  Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beating after each addition.  Add chopped nuts and vanilla, mix.

Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on well-greased cookie sheet.  Cookies will spread.  Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees about 8 minutes or until just barely done.  Remove from oven and top with marshmallow half, cut side down.  Return cookies to oven and bake 2 minutes longer until marshmallows soften.

Cool 1 minute and remove to wire rack to cool the rest of the way.  Frost with cocoa frosting.  Makes 6 dozen.
waiting for frosting

Cocoa Frosting
Sift 2 cups powdered sugar with 4 tablespoons cocoa and a dash of salt.  Add 3 tablespoons melted butter, 5 tablespoons light cream (or milk) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat until smooth and creamy.  Spread on cookies. 

Tiffany's Notes: I don't make these often, but they are always a big hit when I do.  My cookies don't tend to spread too much--my mother-in-law's would spread more (probably a difference in location and ovens).

If you look at the marshmallows in the cookies pictured above you'll see they look flat.  They are!  They are Kraft marshmallows made for S'mores (they are a flat rectangle shape).  They are perfect for these cookies (cut in half). 

My mother-in-law froze her regular shaped large marshmallows and used them frozen.  I've used marshmallows both frozen and not frozen--but they do work well frozen.

The frosting took me a few tries to figure out how to do.  Basically it is a thin frosting that you spread on with a knife.  I've also tried to drizzle it on--that works fine, too.  Usually the marshmallows are entirely covered by frosting. Due to non-nut lovers in the family I usually don't include the nuts. 

I also found a very similar recipe the recipe book Five Star Recipes From Well-known Latter-day Saints.  It was compiled by Elaine Cannon (and given to me by my mom).  That very similar recipe was contributed by David and Joanne Doxey.  In the recipe notes they explained that they first had the cookies in the 1960s while living in Phoenix and she later shared the recipe in the Deseret News.  Many people started making it after it was published there.  Maybe that's where my husband's mom found the recipe?  :)

Comments