Tamale Soup

Tamale Soup
2 cups water
½ cup frozen corn
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 (14.5 oz.) can tomatoes
2-4 Tb. dehydrated onions
½ cup chopped green peppers
¼ cup + 2 Tb. brown rice
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
Cook in crock pot for 4 to 5 hours on high. Top with sliced olives and grated cheddar cheese.

Tiffany's Notes: There are many tomato based, taco flavored soups in our collection.  This one is meatless and uses whole grains and simple veggies.  I got this recipe from a friend many years ago. I like this version because the ingredients are likely kept readily on hand.  

The original recipe was double the size and made such a large amount that when my family was small I cut it down.  I am now back to making the full recipe.  Leftovers work well. Several of my children like this recipe the best of the different variations of taco soup.

I usually used dehydrated onions and leave out the green peppers.  For this batch I used part of a bag of frozen onions and diced green peppers--I believe they call it a seasoning mix.  You can find it in the frozen vegetable section and it's very handy to use in a soup like this.  

It is great if you add a handful of corn chips to the bowl, ladle the soup on top, and then add toppings.

Comments