Blueberry Compote or Blåbärs Kompott

My Great-Grandfather, Henry Richard Emanuel Wessman, was born in Sweden in 1885 and immigrated to the United States as a young man.  He passed away 82 years ago today. I wish I knew more about his childhood and the food he ate in Sweden.  I recently found this Swedish recipe and it really appealed to me.


Blueberry Compote
200 g/7 oz fresh or frozen blueberries (approximately 2 cups)
15 ml/ 1 tbs sugar
5 ml/ 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
dash of ground cinnamon
dash of ground cloves

Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Poach for about 5 minutes until soft and blueberries have released some liquid.  Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes or until liquid has reduced and compote has thickened.  Serve warm over waffles or pancakes.

Emily's Notes:
I like to make this in the microwave.  I put all the ingredients in a large glass measuring container (aka Pyrex) and microwave for 6 minutes.

I have a weakness for any recipe with balsamic vinegar listed in the ingredient list.  In my family, we go through gallons of the stuff each year.  I am not kidding! 

Around my home, this recipe only serves 2 adults, so I would recommend doubling or tripling the recipe if you want to serve more.

Serve this compote over whole wheat pancakes or whole wheat waffles. I especially like it with a dollop of sour cream on top.  But whipped cream would be just as good.

Recipe from "Classic Recipes of Sweden" by Anna Mosesson.

Comments