Fresh Strawberry Pie

I remember my mom making fresh strawberry pie--it was one of my favorite desserts. Yum!  I remember taking a nutrition class at college {hey--I think my cousin Emily was in that class with me if I remember correctly!?}--anyway--the professor was talking about classifications of foods.  Pie only counted nutritionally as a fat and a sugar--basically it had no "healthy" food value.  I remember several students (women, of course!) arguing with the professor that pie should count for a fruit serving.  Ha!  That professor never saw this strawberry pie!

Fresh Strawberry Pie
1 baked single crust pie shell
2 lb. fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
dusting of powdered sugar
1 box strawberry or raspberry Danish Dessert

Prepare Danish Dessert as directed. Cool slightly.  Add a dusting of powdered sugar into the bottom of pie shell. Wash strawberries and take tops off. Place in pie shell. {You can cut some in half to fit more in!}

Pour the prepared Danish Dessert over strawberries--make sure to cover all the berries. Let set up in refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream. You can also add sliced strawberries to Danish Dessert and then pour into pie shell.

Tiffany's Notes: As mentioned previously, Danish Dessert is a box mix.  You may be able to find it in the baking aisle close to the Jell-O.  Years ago I used to be able to buy it here in Texas.  Then, it disappeared from the stores.  That problem was semi-solved by having my mother-in-law bring several boxes with her from Utah when she came to visit.  I've also stocked up when I was visiting Utah.  It has a long shelf life!  :)

I do like this pie best served with whipped cream!  It would also be wonderful with a mixture of cream, cream cheese, and sugar layer inside the crust!  See the Red and White Special Occasion Cake for a recipe idea.

I used the Lion House Pie Crust recipe for this pie.  It turned out fine.  Just like Becky, I do like the Never Fail Pie Crust better!  :)

Comments

  1. Gorgeous! I agree, as desserts go, this pie should definitely count as a fruit serving. I also wanted to note that although you can buy Danish in several flavors- I prefer the raspberry mix.

    You can buy Danish by the case if needed;-)

    http://www.junketdesserts.com/danishdessert.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, raspberry is my favorite, too!
      Thanks for the link! There was a helpful part of the website that explains the box's expiration date codes. :) {Yea! My boxes aren't as old as I thought!}

      Delete
  2. Try out this recipe too... It's super good!

    http://www.food.com/recipe/icebox-strawberry-pie-377276

    ReplyDelete
  3. The strawberry danish dessert is sweeter, and the raspberry danish dessert is more tangy. I like the raspberry flavor the best, but the strawberry flavor is good, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment