Brownie Cheesecake

This is essentially a simple cheesecake with a brownie crust. 
Brownie Cheesecake

1 package brownie mix {and the ingredients to make it}
4 packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup sour cream
3 eggs
2 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Prepare brownie batter as directed on package; pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until top of brownie is shiny and center is almost set.

(You can certainly make your favorite batch of brownies instead of using a boxed mix!)

Meanwhile, beat softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition until blended. Gently pour over brownie layer in pan.

Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen side of dessert from pan; cool. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

Melt chocolate as directed on package; drizzle over cheesecake. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Cut cheesecake into 16 pieces to serve. Store any leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.

Tiffany's Notes: I first made this recipe (or a very similar one) many years ago.  It's one rich dessert!  I didn't plan on making it again, but it just keeps nudging me from my food memory bank.  :)  So, when I had 4 packages of cream cheese to use up (who has that very often??) I knew I just had to make it again.  

I was worried about the brownies over cooking so I didn't let them cook quite as long as I should have.  If they are not set then when you pour the cheesecake mixture on then the batter tends to squish around.  But, it still managed to work out in the end.  This dessert has some flexibility, so don't worry if that is the case for you.  Every piece doesn't come out looking beautiful, but it sure is good!

If you wanted the convenience of lifting it out of the pan before cutting into pieces you could line your pan with parchment paper.  

Instead of the melted chocolate I used some of the leftover Chocolate Fondue to top my piece.  

I certainly would plan on serving more than 16 portions--at least 20--unless you have a crowd of cheesecake hungry teenagers! A bite or two may even be enough {good thing you can cut it up and freeze the leftovers!}.

Comments

  1. This looks delicious, thanks for sharing. I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep looking at this recipe and wondering when I can make it! I don't plan on having 4 packages of cream cheese around anytime soon- but maybe I will try cutting the recipe in half?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment