Dutch Oven Fruit (Apple) Crisp

An easy Dutch oven dessert is an apple or fruit crisp. As long as you don't burn it, it turns out great.
Dutch Oven Fruit (Apple) Crisp

I used this Apple Crisp recipe as my basis for the dessert. Here it is again:

7-8 cups sliced and peeled apples
¼-1 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of apples
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup water, optional

In a separate bowl combine:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats (I use regular oats)
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Spread mixture over the apples and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until brown and apples are tender. You can also use the same topping on any combination of fruit or as a top crust for a pie.

Since the Dutch oven I was using is smaller than a 9x13 pan, I used about 6-7 cups of sliced apples and I did a 2/3 version of the topping. I mixed up the apples and spices (minus the water), and put them in a Ziplock bag. Then I froze it. I also mixed up the topping and put that in a separate bag and froze it. I put both bags in the cooler and we traveled 4-5 hours to our camping spot.

After I cooked some dinner rolls, I took them out of the Dutch oven. Then I lined the Dutch oven with parchment paper, being careful not to burn myself on the hot pan. Thick leather gloves are great for this type of work. I put the partially defrosted apples in the bottom, added a half cup of water, and spread the partially defrosted topping over all of it. I covered the oven with the lid and put on the coals needed to get the oven to about 350°. I rotated the oven and checked on the crisp every 15 minutes or so. It was ready in 30-40 minutes, though it sat longer until we had finished eating dinner.

If we had been planning better, we could have brought some canned whipped cream and used that on top of the crisp. As it was, the dessert was delicious.

You can substitute different types of fruit for the apples--such as peaches or nectarines or mixed berries or so on. You would probably want to adjust the spices depending on the fruit, of course.

Comments