Crepe Filling


I love crepes rolled up with a sweet or savory filling inside.  Here is a filling I came across that I really like.  What appeals to me about this recipe is the addition of lemon juice.

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest, optional
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream

fresh fruit, sliced for topping (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches etc...)

Whip cream until stiff peaks form.

Blend the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla with a mixer until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped cream.  Spoon onto a crepe, roll up and top with more topping and fresh fruit.

Emily's Notes: I use lower fat cream cheese just to be a bit healthier.  I also make my crepes with whole wheat flour.  I actually have not made this filling with the lemon zest.

The best crepes I have ever consumed (inhaled) were made at a little crêperie across the street from Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. They were simple, but divine.  After cooking the crepe on one side, they quickly flipped it over and immediately squeezed half a lemon over the top.  They then sprinkled white sugar over all and folded it up into a yummy pocket of goodness.  The crunch of the sugar and lemon combined with the hot crepe were out of this world. I have tried to recreate this goodness at home, but to no avail.  I think part of the goodness was being in Paris. I think I need a vacation.

Comments