Donuts

Inspired by Mindy's post about donuts, I decided to make some for Family Home Evening. However, I didn't have any potatoes, so I used a traditional recipe from my sister-in-law Shauna. She makes hundreds of these for Halloween. I'm not kidding on the numbers--we've seen pictures of them. Upon request, she even made some for us at a family reunion.
Donuts
2 cups milk, warmed
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
6 cups flour
1 tablespoon yeast 

Mix in order given. (If you do the dough in a bread machine, which makes a wonderful dough, don't warm the milk.) You want the dough pretty soft, but just barely not sticky. Knead till smooth. Let raise until doubled. 

Roll out on floured counter to 1/2" thick. Cut out donuts. Let raise again until doubled. Fry in 350° oil for no more than one minute on each side. Drain. Glaze or frost. 

I mixed up half a batch (which was more than enough for our family) before dinner, and then cut them out after dinner. I used warm water and added powdered milk with the flour; it turned out fine. During FHE, I cooked them, measuring the temperature of the oil as I did it. If the oil isn't hot enough, the donuts soak up lots of oil and don't cook as well. Then I tossed the donuts in a bag with either cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar in it.

Comments