Vanilla Ice Cream

I love to make homemade ice cream!  Here is a basic recipe written for 3 different sizes of ice cream makers.  It can be easily customized to your taste.

Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredient
2 Quart
4 Quart
6 Quart
Milk
2 cups
3 cups
3½ cups
Sugar
1 cup
1¾ cups
2¼ cups
Salt
1/3 tsp.
½ tsp.
½ tsp.
Half and Half
1 cup
2 cups
2½ cups
Vanilla Extract
1½ tsp.
1 Tb.
1½ Tb.
Whipping Cream
1 cup
3 cups
4 cups
  
Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, salt, half and half, vanilla, and whipping cream. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Freeze in ice cream maker. A 6-quart freezer holds about 10 cups of milk/cream/liquids with the other ingredients. The ice cream is even creamier if you use cream and half and half with no milk. Instead of vanilla extract, you can use vanilla bean sugar; just replace about 1 cup of the plain sugar with the vanilla sugar.

Variations: Add crumbled cookies, crushed candy, or granola to the ice cream the last 5-10 minutes of freezing. Crushed Butterfinger candy is especially good.

Tiffany's Notes: I believe Eliza and Becky are the ice cream experts of the family.  Most of our ice cream recipes are thanks to them.  :)  I hadn't tried this recipe from the family cookbook before--I usually make one called "Brickle Slickle Ice Cream" that I clipped from the Deseret News newspaper many years ago.   {I'll have to post that recipe another day...}  It has crushed Butterfingers and is a super easy ice cream. 

This one is even simpler.  I made the 4 quart size, but changed the ingredients slightly.  Because I had a quart of cream and a quart of half-and-half that's what I used.  The ingredients came to below the "fill line" on my freezer so I added another 2 cups of milk.  Maybe the volume of liquid you need to add depends on your ice cream maker?  Some ice cream makers are better at incorporating air into the mixture. 

We added 3 crushed Butterfinger candy bars.  I don't normally like Butterfingers, but I love them in ice cream.  The chocolate flecks and the candy are such a great combination! 

This ice cream was really good, but not as sweet as other recipes I'm used to.  But, that's not a bad thing to have less sugar! 

I also wasn't sure if the "scald the milk" was a necessary step?  I didn't know if I was going to add milk so to begin with I just heated up 2 cups of the half-and-half in the microwave.  Next, I stirred in the sugar, salt, and vanilla and chilled it.  Then, when it was time to make the ice cream I added all the ingredients directly into the ice cream freezer container. 

Some of our previous posted classic ice cream recipes are:
Vanilla Ice Cream with Fruit
Mother's Easy Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream, Custard Version

Comments