Penuche Icing (Heritage Recipe)

Penuche Icing is a caramel flavored icing that is perfect on spice cake. This is one of my all-time favorite treats — I could eat this frosting plain... and I used to when I was a teenager! (Don't tell Mom!)


Penuche Icing (Heritage Recipe)

Boil over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly:
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
Stir in:
¼ cup milk
Stir until it boils. Cool to lukewarm. Add:
3-4 cups powdered sugar
Beat well. If frosting is too stiff, add a little hot water. This is a caramel-flavored frosting. It works well on white or yellow cakes. From Grandma Glade.

Mindy's Notes: This is my standard frosting for spice cakes, but it's also great on apple cake.

Comments

  1. I love when you can peel the frosting off in one piece. This is also a great frosting for how most of us love to eat our cake or cupcakes- break the cake in half and flip the frosting to the center for a little cake sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family has made a penuche fudge at Christmas time for as long as I can remember. I will definitely have to try this icing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment