Potato Soup

Potato Soup

4-5 cups water
4-5 peeled cubed potatoes
6 chicken bouillon cubes
salt to taste
1 cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion (can use dehydrated)
½ cup butter
2 cups milk (powdered works fine) or half and half
3 Tb.–½ cup flour or cornstarch
Additional seasonings, as desired (Fox Point, etc.)

Cook water, potatoes, bouillon, salt, celery and onion together until potatoes are soft. Whisk flour or  cornstarch into melted butter and then add milk and whisk together. The larger amount of flour will make a thicker soup. Add to potato mixture and cook until warm.

Becky's Note:
I usually thicken my white sauce quite a bit before I add it to the soup.  This helps speed up my cook time and also eliminates any lumps from the sauce.  To learn more about white sauce check out this post.

I love to add carrots and sometimes green beans to this soup for color.  Another simple addition is cheese for a classic potato cheese soup.  A few years ago my sister Mindy made potato soup for us when we were visiting.  It was the best potato soup I have ever had (and I have tried many, many recipes to get this soup the way I like it!).  Her secret?  Fox Point.  It is amazing what a good spice or spice blend can do for a simple recipe.  Tonight's soup was a hit with 5/6 children and it doesn't get much better than that.

Comments

  1. Something that's fun about this blog is that I now realize we occasionally make the same things at the same time! :) I think I made potato soup the same time you did.

    I like your recipe and helpful hints! I use a 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour and 2 cup milk ratio to make white sauce before adding it to the soup. I need to try some of the spices you mentioned! {It is really yummy with half and half, but I rarely have that on hand.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use a can of condensed milk (evaporated) for all or part of the milk and it imparts a nice flavor also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment