Buttermilk Syrup

Buttermilk Syrup

1 cube butter
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla


Bring butter, buttermilk and sugar to a boil in a saucepan.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla.  The syrup will foam quite a bit, so use a saucepan with room to spare.

Becky's Note: A friend told me about this syrup years ago.  This year I was trying to settle on a Christmas breakfast that would become a much loved tradition and not require too much work on Christmas Eve (homemade cinnamon rolls have been our tradition for years, but they are a bit time consuming).  I made Kneaders French Toast  (that recipe will be posted sometime- but I forgot to take pictures and I can only make it every once in awhile for health reasons, (meaning each slice probably has 2 million calories) and called my friend for the recipe for this syrup.  The good news is that I definitely settled on a Christmas breakfast tradition.  The bad news is- Umm I can't think of any bad news except that I may be washing one more saucepan every time I make waffles or pancakes or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  This syrup is so good we may just put it on everything. ;-)

I only make 1/2 a batch because the syrup doesn't keep very well.

Comments

  1. I made this syrup on Father's Day when we made scones. We could drink this stuff! So glad you posted this yummy recipe! Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This syrup has been a tradition in my husband's family for years and years. Could very well be one of the best things he brought to the marriage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment