Scotcharoos

Scotcharoos
1 cup white Karo syrup (corn syrup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
 
Bring corn syrup and sugar to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove and add peanut butter. Mix well. Add Rice Krispies and mix. Pour into buttered 9 x 13 inch pan and spread. Put chocolate chips on top and spread when they are melted. Cut when they are cooled but still soft. You can freeze leftovers.
Tiffany's Note: This is one of the treats my mother-in-law would make at Christmas time.  We usually make it a few times a year--but especially in December.  They are very simple to make so if you're trying to make several treats in one day this is a good one to add to the collection.  

The only time I had a problem making them is when I tried to add the peanut butter at the beginning and cooked it with the sugars (not a good thing!). 

I do like these fresh so that's why we added the "You can freeze leftovers" note.  If you need them for later they freeze easily and thaw fairly quickly.

Comments

  1. I just made these today and I learned a few things.

    First off (to anyone who has never made these before), these are just chocolate covered rice krispies treats with peanut butter rather than marshmallows.

    Second, the 6 cups of rice krispies was almost too much for the amount of peanut butter and syrup. If you want a denser treat try 4 or 5 cups of cereal.

    Also the one cup of chocolate chips was not enough to cover it. I needed two.

    Third, this recipe is easy and didn't take me very long, but it is easier to do if you don't have a two year old that is potty training and a six month old who wants to be held all the time. Not that that has anything to do with the recipe, I'm just saying...Things almost burned...It's easy to burn this recipe, especially if you have distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the 1 c. chocolate chips does cover it just barely (but it has worked for me). :) I have seen this recipe with 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup butterscotch chips mixed--that would be a good topping.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment