Butterscotch Caramel Pull-Aparts

Butterscotch Caramel Pull-Aparts

Coarsely chopped walnuts (1/2 to 1 cup), optional
Maraschino cherries, optional
18 frozen unbaked rolls (Rhodes)
½ package butterscotch pudding (not instant)
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup brown sugar

Prepare the night before. Spray the inside of a Bundt pan with cooking spray. Mix melted butter with dry butterscotch pudding and brown sugar. Place the rolls in the pan and drizzle some of the mixture over them. Rotate the little rolls around and drizzle the rest of the mixture on. Since the rolls are frozen, the melted butter mixture hardens quickly. Spray plastic wrap with cooking spray before covering the pan so it doesn’t stick to rolls as they rise. In the morning bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes.

Tiffany's Notes: Several years ago I decided to make these for our Christmas morning breakfast.  We've been making them every year since.  They are great because they taste so good and are simple to cook on a busy morning.  I want a nice breakfast on Christmas but don't want to work too hard to have it!  :)

They are great with nuts (but we have a lot of little kids who don't like nuts so I make them without).  I've never tried the maraschino cherry option.  I'm sure it would look pretty.

We have a larger family so I buy the 36 count package of rolls and make two pans.  These took slightly over 20 minutes to bake.  When they're done baking remove them from the oven, let them cool a minute, place a plate over the top, and quickly invert the plate covered pan.  Set it on a hot pad and lift off the pan.  Some of the butterscotch sauce may drip.  {Speaking of drips--most years they don't overflow in the oven but I've had them do that a time or two.  So, (like when you're making a fruit pie) while baking I place them on a foil covered pizza pan or baking sheet.}

If you have lots of time in the morning you could also make a batch of dough (or use a breadmaker); make up the pudding, butter, and brown sugar mixture; and make some pull-aparts with fresh dough.  I've done something like this with biscuit dough/sugar/butter and baked it in a 9x13 pan.

We've also made them for Easter.  They'd also be great for New Year's Day!

Comments

  1. We made these for Christmas this year. We couldn't find non-instant butterscotch pudding so we used caramel ice cream topping - it tasted great. We had some pecans around so we added them to one half of the pan. These were great to place in the oven in the morning and cook. Ours took 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make these rolls for General Conference (Oct and April). I let my rolls thaw a little on a cookie sheet and then cut them (with kitchen shears) into fourths. Then I follow the recipe just with little miniature rolls. I love it this way because you have more surface area getting coated by the butterscotch. Our children will not eat them with nuts but both Paul and I love them with nuts. One time I made a special little pan with nuts for Paul and I to share. I left the pan cooling on the counter and when I returned I discovered that several children (who claimed they were starving) had helped themselves to the pan. They carefully pulled out every single nut and set them aside!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment