Wassail

Wassail

1 46-oz can apple juice
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 6- oz can frozen lemonade
1 6-oz. can frozen orange juice
1/2 cup honey or sugar (I prefer the taste of sugar in this case)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 46-oz can pineapple juice

Heat apple juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg to boiling point.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add orange juice and lemonade concentrates, pineapple juice, sugar, and lemon juice.  Simmer.  Garnish with orange slices, if desired. You could probably also just put all of the ingredients in a crock pot and let it heat there for a few hours until you are ready for it.

Makes about 13 1-cup servings.  My mom usually doubles this recipe for Christmas Eve, because frozen juice usually comes in bigger cans than 6-oz. This year I just used half of the frozen juice concentrate and put the rest back in the freezer. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated later.

If beverage simmers too long and becomes too thick or concentrated, water may be added.

My mom has made this wassail every Christmas Eve for twenty-six years! Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same for me without it. I'm pretty sure I didn't like drinking it until I was around ten years old because it was hot and the taste was so strong, but now I love it and the smell brings back memories of my grandmother's kitchen, lots of family, and the anticipation of Santa Claus coming.

Comments

  1. Looks good! We'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to comment earlier--right before you posted this recipe I tried a spiced apple cider recipe I found online. It was undrinkable (so sorry to waste that nice juice)! We'll have to try this one next time we want some apple cider!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment