Oatmeal-Buttermilk Muffins {with blueberries!}


We've posted the majority of the recipes in our family recipe collection (found in our self-published cookbook).  But, there are a few we haven't posted, yet.  This recipe for Oatmeal-Buttermilk Muffins is one that I hadn't tried before.
Oatmeal-Buttermilk Muffins
Mix and let sit for 15 minutes:
2 cups oats
1¾ cups buttermilk
¾ cup milk

Mix and add to oats and milk:
2 eggs
½ cup oil

Sift together:
2 cups flour (can use ½ cup whole wheat)
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
1¾ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt

Stir the liquids into the dry mixture. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 375°. Makes about 24 muffins. You can add 1 cup of blueberries or other fruit, if you wish.

Tiffany's Notes:
This was an interesting muffin for me--it came together easily and baked up quickly.  I was thinking about making blueberry muffins and decided to make these with the added blueberries.  I used about 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries.  With the blueberries it made 24 muffins--you'd likely get fewer muffins if you didn't add the blueberries.  I used brown sugar and the suggested 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.

I found the taste quite mild (even bland).  A couple of my children enjoyed them and the rest weren't overly enthusiastic about them.  My teenage boy ate at least 7.  If you compare muffin recipes you'll see that this one has a much lower amount of added sugar compared to other recipes.  Also, if you make a banana muffin or pumpkin muffin those fruits add a substantial amount of natural sweetening.

The muffin was moist.  The blueberries added an important bit of sweetness to the muffin.  If I made these again I would consider adding a flavoring like vanilla or additional sugar.  It goes without saying that you need to like oatmeal to enjoy eating these muffins.  :)  These muffins would definitely be a more healthful choice than other varieties.

To compare recipes follow this link to some of our other muffin recipes.

Comments