Sugar Plum Bacon

Here's a happy picture from our New Year's Day breakfast...
We had Banana Muffins, Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Pumpkin Muffins, and Sugar Plum Bacon.  What's Sugar Plum Bacon?  Bacon coated with brown sugar and cinnamon and then baked.  Yum!

Several years ago I attended a wonderful cooking class.  The presenter shared recipes for Christmas Brunch and this was one she shared.  I was amazed with how great it tasted.  We don't serve bacon very often--but for a treat for the new year I made this for breakfast.

Sugar Plum Bacon
1/2 lb. bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Unwrap the bacon and cut the slices in half.  In a small container (or plate) stir together the sugar and cinnamon.  Gently coat each bacon slice with the mixture.
Place the bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until bacon is crisp and the sugar is bubbly (watch so they don't burn).  Place on a foil lined plate to cool.  Serve.
Tiffany's Notes: When I attended the Christmas Brunch class it was one of the first times I knew you could bake bacon.  Sooo easy!  {Read Eliza's Oven Bacon post for some great tips.}

Today I used a pound of bacon and made half without extra flavoring and coated the other half with sugar.  I did bake it at 400 degrees and it took about 25 minutes.  I really think the bake time varies with your oven so I'd set a timer for a shorter time and keep checking until it is done to your wishes.  Also, some recipes have you twist the bacon pieces a time or two before baking--it's a nice touch.

Going off memory is a bad thing (which is what I did this morning).  I actually just used brown sugar and forgot that the recipe called for cinnamon.  Either way would be good.  Just the brown sugar was great, but I know the cinnamon would give it an extra-special punch of awesomeness.

Comments

  1. Yes a simple tasty little treat. I reckon you could even get away with serving that at a kids party as they'll eat anything sugar coated. Sweet meat, what a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment