Coleslaw {with apple!}

Here's a new twist for an old favorite--Coleslaw.  This version is from our cousin Emily.  {Thanks, Emily!}
Coleslaw

Salad:
1 head of cabbage shredded
2-4 carrots shredded
2 sticks of celery chopped
¼ to ½ cup chopped green onions or chives
¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
1 apple chopped or grated (I have used any kind, but I think Gala or Jonathans are my favorite)

Dressing:
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs milk
1-2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs maple syrup, honey or agave
2 Tbs vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix salad ingredients in large bowl.  Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper then mix.  Whisk together dressing ingredients.  Taste and adjust to your liking (salt, pepper, dash of hot sauce, more vinegar etc…) Add as much of the dressing to the salad as you prefer.

Emily’s notes:  I use my Bosch food processor attachment to shred the cabbage, carrots and apple.  I also leave the peels on the apple, so if you use a red apple, it looks really nice in the slaw. 

If you want to make this a day ahead you can, but I would recommend salting the cabbage:

In a colander toss cabbage with at least 1 to 2 tsp salt, enough so that leaves start to exude moisture within 10 or 15 minutes. Place colander in a large bowl and let sit an hour or two, pressing out moisture out with your hands once or twice.  Taste, and if mixture is too salty, rinse and dry.  When I do this to my cabbage, I do not add additional salt to the salad or dressing.

Comments

Post a Comment