Salsa Chicken

A quick and easy 2 ingredient slow cooker main dish...
Salsa Chicken
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
2 pounds skinless boneless chicken

Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Pour the salsa on top. Cook it for however long it takes your slow cooker to cook chicken (8-10 hours low or 4-5 high). Good over rice.

Add some black beans and corn the next day and eat with tortillas. Add some broth and make into soup.

Tiffany's Notes: This is a super easy recipe for a busy day.  We made it into soft tacos.  I really, really like the idea of making it into soup--and adding some black beans and corn.  This will freeze easily--I probably have enough leftovers for a couple more meals. 

I did make one fairly major change--I wanted to increase the tomato ratio so I added a can of diced tomatoes, dried diced onions, and a few other spices.  I put it in the crock pot after lunch and by dinner time it was done.  I shredded the chicken.  It was still a bit soupy for what I wanted so I shifted it to a pot and thickened it with a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with a small amount of water. 

Since this recipe relies so heavily on the salsa you'll want to make sure you like the taste of the salsa you use!  You also may need to add salt--just taste a bit of the chicken mixture before serving.  I don't usually add much salt to my meals, but this could have used a little bit.

Comments